Tuesday 14 June 2011

Oh Maudey!

Sorry I haven't posted for a while- I've been busy at that horrible place that takes up all my chicken cuddling and veg munching time- work.

However, while I've been tucked up in my concrete prison cell I have been keeping abreast of all your lovely posts and comments and have gained some new followers! Thank you guys, lovely to have you on board- I'm still a bit of a newbie and I still can't quite believe that anyone would want to read about my little bit of green, so thank you!

I thought I might share with you our triumph of the wet rainy weekend- my fat girl Maude laid another whopper! She does occasionally pop out a double yoker, but this one was a record breaker. 110grams- and boy did we know about it! Thanks Maudey! Mildred still only manages little pale eggs but I think it's because she's a bit of a worrier- she hasn't got time for eggs when there's grass to scratch, nest boxes to rearrange and me to chat to.






I also wanted to get some opinions from you guys. A friend of mine who works for a rescue centre has had a few chicks bought in recently who have been left over from class room experiments. Living Egg are a company which provide fertilised eggs and incubators to schools so the kids can learn all about the life cycle of chickens etc. The problem is that when the hens hatch, the schools don't want to keep them. The company promises that they will end up on free range farms but what about the boys? It sits very uncomfortably with me that children are essentially being taught: look at these cute little chicks, as soon as we're bored of them we can get rid of them and we don't have to take any responsibility for where they go. Surely a better lesson would be to re-home some battery hens and teach children about animal welfare, where their cheap chicken nuggets come from, as well as sustainability and responsibility. I'd love to hear your thoughts....

3 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOW!!!

    One of my hens laid a 103g egg once, was praying for a double yolker but was just full of egg white and a solitary yolk.

    Good to see you back blogging, we both love your blog!

    Martin and Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree to that scheme to some extent, it at least raises childrens awareness of life, responsibility (to a certain extent), and where their eggs come from. But as you say the little boy chicks will never be wanted on these free range farms, NO commercial free range farm will have a cockerel on site. So what is happening to them?

    This is the dilemma facing every chicken breeder though!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you sue- I think it is important for kids to know these things and to that extent its a good scheme but the problem I have is that they are not following the process through. If they want to teach children the cycle of life then they should be ready to actually show them- this chick is going to become that McChicken burger you'll pay 99p for on the way home from school...they can't pick and chose the realities. It's an interesting one eh?

    Holly

    ReplyDelete