Tuesday 28 June 2011

A little progress...

As I'm swamped with pre- PGCE schools observation, I haven't had much time for the good life lately (I hope this is not a taste of things to come..)

So here is a little update from the allotment...

The broccoli I thought had been destroyed by the slugs is making great progress. I was so surprised to see the lovely little florets and promptly steamed them and ate them with lashings of butter! yummy!


My sweet peas which are growing in reclaimed tyres- thanks KwikFit- are looking absolutely beautiful! The trick with sweet peas is to pick all the time to keep them flowering, well I'm running out of vases! They're just so beautiful and smell so lovely, I've got them all over the house making me feel all summery.


Also I finally got round to starting off my wildlife area. The wildflowers I've been planting are growing well but not blooming yet, apart from the stunning lavender which I don't think you can ever have too much of! I've also got perennial cornflowers, more perennial sweet peas, marigolds, budleia, meadow flowers, grasses and teasels. I think it will really come into it's own next year. I sunk my council approved healthy and safe washing up basin and filled it with rocks and rain water. I also surrounded with with logs and old roots and sticks and things so hopefully something that likes eating slugs will set up home there soon!


I hope you're all enjoying the sunshine!

Holly x

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks great!

    I'm glad the brocolli has recovered!

    Martin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Sweetpea tip - I've been wanting to pick mine but feel guilty :)Mo

    ReplyDelete