Thursday 19 May 2011

Free Rangin'

So we’ve had Maude and Mildred for a month now and I have finally plucked up the courage to let them free range around the garden. Despite my best attempts at fencing the boyf has  persuaded me that with a bit of supervision the girls would be fine wandering around- unfenced.

The girls with their security guard... in his PJ's...

We had a bit of a shaky start, which mainly involved me near tears shrieking at the boyf that they were going to run away or get stolen by a fox despite the fact that I was a mere foot away... I’m such an over protective chook mama, I think he has definitely been put off the idea of ever having human babies with me. But with a lot of persuasion, I have begun to feel more comfortable about loosening the apron strings. The girls know exactly where to go when the door of the run is open and leg it straight into my pa’s “woodland flowerbed” which unfortunately for him contains some expensive plants but also a rockery and lots of bark chippings which the girls adore.



It’s funny how their personalities change when they’re out scratching about, Mildred who was our first Houdini and I always thought, the naughty one, won’t go far from me and the snack box and comes straight to me when she’s called. Maude on the other hand is a bit of a nightmare! I thought she was the quiet, less dominant one but once she gets a sniff off a worm she’s gone! The boyf had to retrieve her from underneath next doors hedge- luckily some ancient chicken wire prevented her from getting too far!

One last glimpse of Maude's bottom as she disapears off into the bushes...


I’m so glad I have relaxed enough to let them out, it’s no good being over protective if they don’t get to have a little fun. They absolutely love digging and scratching and running about (who knew they could run so fast!?) and the little noises of content when they find a beetle or a caterpillar are so sweet! I just wish I had more time to play with them instead of this work lark...

Mildred, my blonde bombshell and total mamas girl...




1 comment:

  1. They look so happy, digging about enjoying themselves! Nice you took the plunge!

    I used to tempt mine back the first few times they went walkies with cooked spaghetti and grapes, they love them and soon come running, chasing each other about, rugby tackling each other for the last bits!!

    ReplyDelete