Tuesday 22 March 2011

Breaking Habits #1 Buying Cosmetics

I am a junkie. I can’t deny it. Shiny bottles, coloured liquids, little pots, they fill my bathroom shelves and look so beautiful. I have cleansers, toners, moisturisers, masks, serums, ointment, creams, mousses, oils, tinctures, caplets, muds, rubs and scrubs and that’s just for my face! I have no brand loyalty- as long as it’s expensive I trust it.  Benefit, Clinique, Elizabeth Arden, Estee Lauder, Chanel, Yves St Laurent, you name it, I’ve forked out my life savings on it. But now it’s time to get responsible. How much do I know about my cosmetics? The thick end of nothing.
Every year hundreds of animals are used in the testing of products that I put on my face  Now, I know that this is bad. I know the stuff I put on my face has come at a cost, it’s full of chemicals and it’s been through processes I don’t approve of. But, what I will refer to as the “Mulberry Bag Phenomenon”  kicks in and blinds me. I forget all about the bunnies and the chemicals. I see women in white coats, faces glowing, lip gloss glittering at me across the counter. I hear promises of clear skin, minimised pores, longer lashes and plumped lips.
My make up bag in its most compact, bare essential, stripped down state.

This stuff has cost me hundreds, undoubtedly thousands of pounds over the years so I cannot simply chuck it all in the bin (where would the ethics be in that anyway- hello landfill!) Instead, as I go I will replace what needs replacing with ethically sourced, cruelty free, organic cosmetics. Like all things, I am not willing to compromise on quality, I will endeavour to shop around to find cosmetics that are guilt free, good and green and look cracking and smell luscious on my bathroom shelves and on my skin!
Do you have any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment